-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Larry Dodson
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 10:26 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] Re: Best way to secure RF ground from 2nd floor

I recently tried this on my multi band offest center dipole.  300 ohn twin
feed to near ground; box there contailing 4:1 balum which connects via RG8
to rig in second floor room.  In the box ( one foot above ground) I
connected outer sheild of coxial to horizontal copper earth pipes below
ground.  Result is that I get good SWR across 80M band and no RF in shack.
I am getting good signal reports, but have not had the opportunity to check

That's a setup that often works well. The balun decouples the twin lead from
the coax, so there's little RF current flowing on the outside of the shield
(lots of RF INSIDE, but the RF doesn't penetrate the shield). The coax is
far enough from the antenna itself that it's not picking up too much RF on
the outside by induction.

So, even if a high impedance voltage loop happens to appear at the rig end,
the high RF voltages are safely shielded inside the coaxial line.

The dangers of such an arrangement, as your comment suggests you're aware,
are:

1) The behavior of the balun can be quite unpredictable with potentially
high losses when the SWR on the line is high, as it probably is on most
bands.

2) The coaxial line will have relatively high losses, also due to a high
SWR. Your 300 ohm ribbon will also show losses but they are much lower
because of its higher impedance. For example, if you terminate the 300 ohm
line in a 2000 ohm load it will see an SWR of about 7:1. Terminate the 50
ohm coax in the same 2000 ohm load, and it will see an SWR of 40:1!

The ideal solution is a remote antenna tuner, in your case where the balun
is located. Then the 50 ohm coax would always have a very low SWR.

Ron AC7AC