On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 08:28:13 -0800 (PST), Lee Butler wrote:

>Augie's report on on Mr. Sherwood's remarks were quite interesting.  The last
>remark concerning poor transmit specifications interested me.
>
>>From my days in Vo-Tech Electronics in High School some 40 years ago....isn't
>>Class A not very efficient?  You can get more power out of class AB1 or AB2
>>but you have to keep to the linear portion of the curve to avoid distortion.
>>I guess what is happening is that the rigs are not keeping to the linear
>>portion of the curve because of over drive by the operator or by the
>>circuitry to compensate for something or other.  A linear amp has to operated
>>in the linear part of the curve. Right?  So, what are these rigs doing?
>
>If I remember correctly, isn't Yaesu's FT9000 or FT1000XXX has a button that
>allows Class-A operation?

The FT-1000MP rigs have Class A capability.  I always excited my Alpha 87A in
that setting in both CW and SSB.  I think the newer high end Yaesu rigs have it
too.

>What rigs run Class A?
>
>How does that sound on the RX end and what do you give up on the TX end?
>Power out?
>
>Interesting discussion with Mr. Sherwood's Data and comments.
>
>Lee - K0WA
>

>In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you
>don't have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't
>find any Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.
>Is Common Sense divine?
>
>Help: http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
>Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com
Tom, N5GE - SWOT 3537 - Grid EM12jq

"They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."

--Benjamin Franklin 1775

Support the entire Constitution, not