When I was about to start one of the more involved SMD kits (I had built some easier ones with bigger parts), I worried about the very, very small spacing on a couple of the IC's. Then I had a chance to discuss this with a couple or "pros" who both told me not to worry. Just slop the solder on across all the contacts, and then wick it off with some good braid. The operative word in that last sentence is "good". You don't want cheap braid. Works like a charm! No bridges! The device remains neatly soldered to the pads at the contact points, but the anti-solder material on the board allows all the excess to be lifted right off. I don't know that this is the textbook approach, but these guys do this stuff for a living, so I felt comfortable taking their advice.

Dave W7AQK

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill W4ZV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:52 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] SMD video? (was: Mystery Mods)

Barry N1EU wrote:

Should have checked youtube before posting.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3NN7UGWYmBY seems quite good and there are
lots more.

The K3 mods are very simple...replacing single components with plenty of room around them...no IC removal, fine-pitch ICs, etc. I was somewhat surprised how much solder they were loading on the tip in that video
sometimes.  Less is better than more for SMD.

One change I would make to that video. Forget the loupe and get a headset visor...you will definitely need both hands free (one for the soldering iron and one for tweezers or whatever you use to hold the component in place). $10 visors from eBay work just fine (doesn't need to be an Optivisor but looks similar). The flux, Quik Chip, etc are nice but not really necessary for what you will need to do. Tweezers, a magnifying visor, good light,
solder wick and a fine tip soldering iron are musts.

73,  Bill  W4ZV