I'm still pretty new to surface mount soldering, but I'm discovering
that I really enjoy it! Last night, I was building a tiny little
oscillator, just for the SMD soldering practice, and I discovered a
spot where I needed a 1K resistor, but didn't have room for a "big"
1206 resistor... so I found an itty-bitty-flyspec sized one on an old
hard drive board, desoldered it, and put it into my circuit... and it
worked! I could barely *see* that little resistor without a magnifying
glass. I think it was either an 0603 or a 0402.

The SMD technique I've had a lot of success with... my "secret
ingredient"... is... masking tape! Put the part on the board, tear or
cut off an appropriately sized  piece of masking tape (from big to
tiny), tape down one side of the part, solder one end (or a couple of
pins), remove tape, solder the rest. For the tiny parts, it's easier
to cut a little piece of masking tape with a small pair of scissors
and position it with tweezers, because the rough edges from tearing
the tape make it harder to get a good hold on the edge of the
component.

I don't know if this is unorthodox or not, but it seems to work well for me.

The other tool I use a lot is a pair of bent-nose locking tweezers
that I got from Micro-Mark. They're actually to big for any of the
really tiny parts, but in a lot of cases I can use them to clamp down
a SMD resistor or capacitor.

I have a small $20 magnifying lamp, and an illuminated magnifying
glass, and a pair of cheap reading glasses from the drugstore. I don't
have a fancy visor or anything like that.

I still want to get a flux pen and some thinner solder! At the moment
I'm still using the same iron, tip, and solder I used to build my K2.
It works okay, but a slightly smaller tip, and finer solder, would
probably give me neater results.

So, Wayne, Eric, can we have an all-surface-mount radio kit that we
can solder *ourselves*? :-)

Sarah AF6FH