I have the same problem saving the configuration.  Program creates the file,
then terminates abnormallly with: "Elecraft K3 Urility has stopped working".

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:     K3Util.exe
  Application Version:  1.1.1.28
  Application Timestamp:        479e087e
  Fault Module Name:    kernel32.dll
  Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
  Fault Module Timestamp:       4549bd80
  Exception Code:       c0000005
  Exception Offset:     00027b3d
  OS Version:   6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:     2b08
  Additional Information 2:     e57a9ba576353f3de1b4e60912ba09d8
  Additional Information 3:     b7c3
  Additional Information 4:     518bffbd84a3b6b8ad61e0198052e6c4

Running under Vista.

The utility updated the firmware with no problem.

Have not tried restoring from one of the saved files.

Bob, K5LLF