For what it is worth, I've just completed a Fourier analysis of the original K3 and revised K3 waveforms presented by G4AON on his website.

I was a bit concerned that the sharpening of the leading edge would adversely affect bandwidth and possibly generate clicks.

Bottom line for the region of the spectrum between 0 and +/- 200 Hz there is a slight increase in average power (maybe 3 db) for the new "sharper" waveform. In the range of 200 to 300 Hz the average power increases maybe 10 db. However at this point the spectral energy is down 50 db anyhow. Beyond this 350 Hz, the spectrum energy of the "sharper" waveform actually falls off relative to the 8ms case.

These conclusions are "eyeball averages" of the sawtooth looking output produced. The teeth go above and below the zero db level.

I was pleasantly surprised. Apparently it isn't all in "rise time" it is also how that waveform is shaped.

Here are the assumptions/limitations of the analysis.
1) Code used "Fast Fourier Transform"  by M.F. Hajen
2) A single dit was modeled.
3) Both dits had the same length in the model (about 70ms representing about 20 wpm).
4) Waveforms were digitized in 1 ms steps.
5) The assumption that the waveforms given represented voltage and hence db was calculated by 20 log (amplitude/amplitude at 0 Hz)

This doesn't reflect repeating dits or CW made up of dots and dashes. However, it is probably a worse case analysis or close to it. I don't have a web site to post on. There is a .jpg file available of results.

Disclaimer
I'm not an expert on this or on using the calculational tools. The output does at least agree with the position of the first zero point predicted by a sinx/x formula for a single pulse of near infinite rise time and same width. Clearly it doesn't represent other effects in the rig which affect spectrum. Like a lawyer once said: "I'm giving you some free advice, it is worth every penny paid for it"

73 de Brian/K3KO
.

Paul Christensen wrote:

I would like to see someone please take this discussion one step further and define the terms "hard" keying and "soft" keying, and describe how either an operator or someone listening would be able to discriminate between the two.

Gary, this topic has been covered in great detail in nearly every ARRL Handbook for at least the last fifty years -- as well as other publications. Some of the most relevant material is covered in articles during the '40s and '50s by By Goodman and George Garmmer. Not all of the material pertaining to "optimum key-shaping" is accurate, but otherwise, the content is still accurate.

Many of us do not like to be held hostage to one rise/fall setting as a "one size fits all" answer to our operating practices. With DSP-generated raised-cosine key shaping, it's now possible to tighten up key shaping at high CW speeds without appreciably consuming additional bandwidth.

Paul, W9AC