I agree that corresponding with the end of the ALC bracket makes sense.
I remember looking at the pictures of the radio after it was mentioned
that the 6th bar was overdrive and I was thinking it odd that the
overdrive point didn't correspond to the end of the ALC brackets.  My
Kenwood has a line that tells one where the ALC kicks in.  It just seems
like that type of operation makes intuitive sense where as the 5 bars
thing is something that one would have to read the manual/reflector to
know.