I've just completed assembly of K3 #688 for a friend. Building it was a joy, aside from a couple of little screw-ups of mine, and having to compress some turns on one torroid. The support guys are OUTSTANDING at answering questions and providing solutions!!! But they are off for the weekend, so I'm here asking for some help.

I have hooked up my trusty Kenwood mic that I use occasionally with my K2 and it works fine from the K3 front panel connector. My friend bought the R-MH2 mic, so I thought I'd set it up, but I am having no luck. Its like I'm getting RF feedback somehow. I've got the menu entry MIC SEL set to FP.H BIAS, and the MIC gain setting set to 10 and CMP set to 0. While in TEST mode (no RF), the ALC bumps up to about 5 bars and my voice sounds more-or-less normal (I'm not used to listening to it) over the MON function. When I go out of TEST at 50w, my voice sounds very distorted and the power output indication on the K3 display doesn't follow my voice but seems to either go high (50w) or very low. Again, all of the above works just fine with my Kenwood mic.

The clincher is that if I transmit into a dummy load, the MH2 works fine. Got to be RF feedback, right? Why would it effect the MH2 and not my Kenwood mic?

Any suggestions?

73,
Randy, KS4L