Hi again, John:

I can't figure out what you are doing. I go to CONFIG:PTT-KEY entry; rotate VFO A clockwise and one of five selections can be made... rts-OFF; dtr-OFF; OFF-dts; OFF-dtr; and rts-dtr. Your selection will determine what, if anything, will happen when you assert the rts and/or the dtr on the RS232 port. Do you have a connector attached to the RS232 port on the back? If so, disconnect it and see if you can cause the fault.(Manual, pg 52).

73,
Ken K3IU

VE3NFK wrote:

PS - what about the second 'weird behaviour'?

VE3NFK wrote:
On a separate note  - I have this anomaly that I emailed support on Friday
night:

"Managed to 'lock-up' my K3  - NO buttons work - including power - had to
pull the power plug....
going thru the config menu  - at PTT-KEY  both ' OFF-OFF'  tried to change
values and complete lockup
Completely repeatable  - go to config PTT then  move main vfo control and
lock up.
Was on AM 13840 listening to a SW station/
Changed mode/freq  - still does it - as soon as main VFO adjusted.  "

Any advice/help comments?

tnxs

John VE3NFK

Gary Hembree wrote:
This is a known problem with the Rev B front panel artwork.  I had the
exact same problem with a MH2 mike when I first used my K3/100 SN 729 a
week ago on 6 meters to contact a local friend who is a well-known VHF
and HF DXer and contester.  Unfortunately it did not make a good
impression!  There is a ground trace missing from one end of C98 and C97
on the front panel board.  These capacitors are associated with the mike
bias circuit.  Hence the problem with the MH2.  I am told that an
official Elecraft fix is going to be released this coming week.  Several
of us who noticed this problem were given the fix to try and it worked
three out of three times.  If you must use a mike that needs bias then
use the rear panel connector for now (i.e. Elecraft or Icom Proset). MH2s are excluded of course, unless you have an appropriate adapter. 688
is the earliest SN that we know is affected.  The other three were 690,
728 and 729.  Elecraft is fixing front panel boards now before they ship
anymore.
73
Gary, N7IR