See FAQ on Elecraft Web site under Microphone connections.  Bias is on pin
6.  Bob Serwy - N9RS

I see it and it states this:

"The K3 8-pin microphone connector is wired the same as the K2 using the Kenwood pin-out."

The pin-out may be close to Kenwood's, but it is not the same. I literally took it to mean that the K3 was pin-for-pin compatible with Kenwood's standard. And that's fine for non-condenser Kenwood mics where external powering isn't required. I had been scratching my head as to why my electret mic's output was running so low, even when the K3's high-gain pre-amp setting was selected. I simply moved my electret-condenser mic from a Kenwood TS-870 to the K3 thinking I was all set.

To prevent confusion in the future, I recommend the inclusion of a disclaimer in the literature in which it states the two types are not 100% compatible. At the same time, I should have conducted my own due-diligence and compared pin-for-pin just to be sure.

Paul, W9AC  (now warming up my soldering station...)