Say you have a narrow-band signal at 1350 kHz, the frequency of our
local AM broadcast station KSRO.  You could use a sampling frequency of,
say, 1000 kHz.  The samples from the 1350 kHz signal would be identical
to the samples of a signal at 350 kHz or 2350 kHz or 3350 kHz, etc.  But
if you know in advance that the signal is band-limited, then you can
accurately re-create the 1350 kHz signal eliminating the "images" at the
other frequencies.

If you measure the 1350 kHz AM signal with a digital oscilloscope that
has a 1 MHz sample rate, it will appear that the signal is at 350 kHz.
(That is, the samples are identical to those from a 350 kHz signal.)
But that's OK if you only care about the modulation.

Al N1AL