> The question is what is really on pin 5 internally right now.  The
> pinout diagram in the manual says pin 5 is a "Function" pin, and it
> is marked with an asterisk.  The footnote says "if applicable".  So,
> I'm guessing there is really nothing going to pin 5 internally right
> now.

Why guess?  Simply look at the schematics posted in the Elecraft web
site.

Pins 3 (Down), 4 (Up), and 5 (Function) are connected to a resistor
network (voltage divider) that provides a specific (different) voltage
for each of the buttons to a sense input on the controller.

None of the functions have been implemented in the firmware but the
hardware is in place.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV