hi Wayne,

Your new firmware is vy much appreciated and I am very happy with many
features though not everything tested yet.
The update went without a problem, congrats - this is very well done.

I have a peculiar behaviour with SSB modulation that I have to report:

wayne burdick schrieb am 3 May 2008 um 17:29:

>   * SSB TX POWER CONTROL improved. Set ALC for about 5 bars (rarely 6+)
> using MIC gain
>      control, then set CMP and POWER as desired. The RF power bargraph
> shows approx.
>      peak power when you whistle or shout, but will typically show well
> below peak power
>      during normal speech. If you™re using an external peak-reading
> wattmeter or power
>      amplifier, adjust POWER as required while observing the effect of
> speech peaks.
>      If you find that an SSB power setting higher or lower than for CW is
> often required,
>      you may wish to compensate for this using the CONFIG:TXG VCE menu
> entry.
>
>      Technical Note: Our latest MCU and DSP code uses minimal amounts of
> ALC, consistent
>      with analysis done by Leif Asbrink, SM5BSZ. (His findings and
> recommendations can be
>      found on his web site, www.nitehawk.com/sm5bsz.) The general idea is
> to keep
>      transmit drive just below where ALC can cause splatter on speech
> peaks, rather than
>      apply ALC heavily to achieve additional compression.

when I transmit in SSB I am not able to get 100 % HF output.
peak power is around 40 Watts whatever I do, reading on the LP-100 peak
power meter. (using a Heil Proset with HC 5 Element)
RF display is about 40 % max.

But! when I key the transceiver with the CW paddle in SSB (new feature,
very welcome!)  I suddenly get full output also with normal speech.

If I twist the power a little up or down, I am back on 40 % output, with one Dit
in CW I can have the full power back.

I am curious, if I am the only one with this problem.
btw, modulation reports on the air are excellent. Loud and clear, vy good
readability.

73! de Werner OE9FWV

--
If god can be god, why couldn't I?