Bob Cunnings wrote:

> Does the advice for setting up soundcard digital modes given here:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/elecraft@mailman.qth.net/msg53656.html
>
> become effective when using this new version? Specifically:
>
> "If you try and trick the system and run with *zero* ALC bars in
> PSK31, the ALC has to work hard to give you your requested power - or
> maybe it will think there is insufficient signal to work with - and
> your Tx S/N may suffer. So, *please* set it to 4 bars in soundcard
> "digital" modes."
>
> This sounds right given the description of the ALC changes.
>
> Bob NW8L

I am observing that it is impossible to get the requested power output in
DATA A. If I set the PWR control of the K3/10 to 5W then no amount of audio
input will get the external power meter to read 5W output on a pure audio
tone. Instead the meter reads about 2.5W at the same LINE IN setting that
gave 5W out when the power was increased to max. Slowly increasing the audio
drive above this level with the K3 meter showing ALC shows the ALC pulsing
about twice a second. The amount of ALC shown during the pulses increases as
the drive level increases. The power meter (moving coil, average reading)
will only go up to about 3.0W and some slight pulsing of the meter needle is
also evident corresponding to the K3 ALC display.

Sending a PSK idle tone instead of a pure tuning tone the meter shows a
level a bit below half the level on the tuning tone, commensurate with the
K3 limiting the output to 2.5 or 3W PEP despite 5W being requested. The only
way to get a real 5W peak is to set the PWR control to 12W and then regulate
the power entirely using the audio drive, which is not a very accurate or
foolproof way of doing it.

In PSK D mode where the audio is generated internally by the K2 the power
does seem to be correctly regulated by the power control (the K3 does not
generate the short "tail" of pure carrier at the end of the transmission
like most sound card programs do.) However something is definitely not right
with the power level setting. If I transmit in DATA A, then select PSK D and
send something, I only get about 0.2W! I have to change mode to CW and then
back to SSB and then the power out in PSK D is correct.

Unlike someone else who reported low output on SSB my own "aaallo" testing
has found nothing amiss in this mode.

-----
Julian, G4ILO  K3 s/n: 222 K2 s/n: 392
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com