> Most HF users want AM and ESSB (occupied bandwidth greater than
> required for communications quality - 2.6 to 2.8 KHz) banned.
> Unfortunately, certain special interest groups continue to drive the
> debate.

Yes, and they're called Hams or Amateur Radio Operators, too.

The same debate was just as hotly argued years ago. Then it was "most Hams"
wanting those absurdly spectrum wasting "phone" or "voice" transmissions
banned. CW was much more efficient.

Then, after AM phone was well-established, there was a similar movement to
ban the absurdly difficult to tune and interference-prone "single sideband"
transmissions from the Ham bands.

Fortunately, all of those failed and Amateur Radio remains an experimenter's
haven.

"Good Amateur Practice" does not mean the best signal commercially-designed
equipment can produce. "Good Amateur Practice" has always come down to a
value judgment considering the equipment and mode being used and the
experience and skill of the builder/designer/operator.

I hope it always remains so.

Indeed, for many of us, experimenting, tinkering and learning about
equipment and modes, both old and new, is the reason we're Hams.

For me, that will always be so.

Ron AC7AC