John,

You said it is there with and without the KPA100. Have you physically removed the KPA100 and tried it with just the base K2? If not, please try that. Should the base K2 be clean, re-install the KPA100, but after it is installed, remove the right side panel and fold/tuck the ribbon cable and the speaker cable into the area near where the ribbon cable attaches to the control board.

Often such a watery sound is caused by coupling from the ribbon or speaker back into the KSB2 board - dressing the ribbon and speaker cables away from the KSB2 fixes it.

That is at least a starting point.

73,
Don W3FPR

John Huffman wrote:
There has always been some watery distortion on my SSB signal from my K2/100.

It is there with or without the KPA100.

It is there with three different mikes.

It is there with two different KSB2 modules.

It is there on both upper and lower sideband.

The CW signal sounds pretty good, no obvious problem.

The SSB distortion is not real bad, but noticeable.