Dave,

I believe what is really wanted is "random access" band buttons - in other words a single button press for each band. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how this ever has been construed in ham circles to use the term "band stacking memories" - perhaps someone can tell me how 'random access' equates to a 'stack'.

Despite the fact that several proposals have been brought forward for how to use the quick memory keypad (as well as the other memories) for this purpose (and it is also suggested in the K3 manual), the complaints continue because Elecraft has not chosen to make that function a permanent (and unchangable) feature. I just can't understand why the complaints, since that 'feature' is already present if one wants to set it up that way.

73,
Don W3FPR

Dave Van Wallaghen wrote:
Amen to that Don. As a non-contesting ham at this point, I've been following
this conversation trying to understand the use of "stacking band memories".
As I come from a programming background, I too thought the same way about
the "stack" model (FIFO) and have been racking my brain trying to figure out
how this would be beneficial.
I simply attributed it to my "newness" and lack of understanding. But now I
feel a little better knowing someone else has the same perspective.

Would someone who needs this capability, take a moment to explain its use to
a neophyte? Right now, it seems intuitive to use as is, but then again, it
is all I know and I'm sure that in the heat of the battle there may be a
better way.

73,
Dave W8FGU