On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:56:10 -0700, Lyle KK7P wrote:

>Don't forget the dual passband CW feature of the K3.
>
>In CW mode, just DUAL PB and adjust the width to the total width you
>wish to monitor. Your preferred pitch will be accentuated, but you can
>still get band context.
>
>73,
>
>Lyle KK7P

I'm looking forward to trying that on a crowded band. So far since
I've gotten my K3, every time I turn the rig on band conditions are
poor and the signals have been few and far between.

For those who asked, here are my RXeq settings. I'm not sure how much
use they will be to others. The settings will be dependent on band
conditions, speakers/headphones, hearing acuity and personal
preference. I expect to be tweaking these settings fairly often.

Using a 600 Hz offset/sidetone and a 2.5 KHz bandwidth, here are my
present numbers on a noisy 40m daytime band:

50      +16
100    +16
200    +16
400    +10
800    +9
1600   +1
2400   -6
3200   -6

I did these by ear without regard to the numbers. The 3200 band
setting has no effect since the CW b/w only goes to 2.8 KHz. At least,
I can't hear any effect . I just dialed in the  minus-6 number for it
to be consistent.

I adjusted these with NR off, figuring they would allow
less-aggressive NR when I do use it.

The low bands are cranked all the way up. They don't contribute any
noise that I can hear and I want to be able to hear off-freq signals
at these low tones.

The high bands are cut just enough to remove the most irritating
portion of the noise. But again, not too much as I want to be able to
hear the off freq signals.

Except for the 400 and 800 bands these setting can probably remain
unchanged. But these two I expect to tweak pretty often (my sidetone
is 600 Hz). I'll just tweak them on a signal for the best noise margin
as I hear it.

I wouldn't mind having more than 8 bands of eq up to 3200 Hz. Of
couse, only eight bars can fit on the display at one time. Maybe they
could scroll right and left if bands 9 through 12 were added? But
really, 8 bands works well enough.

Once the eq settings are dialed it would be nice to be able to switch
back and forth to a flat setting for a quick comparison. Pushing the
CLR button restores to flat but then you lose your settings and have
to dial them all in again. I wonder if CLR could be made to toggle
between your own settings and flat instead of wiping them out?

73,
Drew
AF2Z