David,

In most instances, you are correct. My K3 has only the stock 2.7 filter, but then I am not into heavy contesting nor intense DX chasing - I do some contesting and work DX for fun only. When it gets to the point where I really need narrow roofing filters, it is time for me to go listen to some relaxing music, so you will not find me using diversity reception to pull out some obscure weak signal.

One related point - the Hardware AGC should prevent overload of the DSP, so the K3 will handle those strong signals nicely. The problem is that the AGC action when a strong unwanted signal is within the roofing filter passband, the AGC will reduce the sensitivity of the entire receiver, so your wanted signal gets weaker too - and you may not even know the offending signal is there if you have the DSP bandwidth at a narrow width - it will behave as though there is QSB on the signal you are listening to. Of course using diversity reception with one antenna having lower gain, that QSB effect may be minimized.

73,
Don W3FPR

David Cutter wrote:
I think I must be missing something.

As I understand it, the additional crystal filters are only really necessary when operating with very strong adjacent signals in the passband. So, if you don't have a need for rejection of such strong signals, let's say >40 over S9 (somebody correct this figure please) then you don't need these extra filters, the DSP will cope with these large signals. The filters are only there to prevent overload of the DSP.

Therefore, to perform the very best diversity reception in <40 over S9 conditions, turn off those extra filters in configuration menu.

Having turned off the filters, I can engage the attenuator to avoid DSP overload if needed. Yes, I know it also reduces the signal I'm trying to hear, but that sacrifice may be what is needed.

For diversity reception using low gain loop, pennant, flag, Beverage, loaded whip antennas, the signal input is very much lower than from the tx antenna, so, crystal filters are probably not be needed at all.

Or do I have it all completely wrong?