I agree with this assessment and when I get my rig back plan on upping
my 250 filter to kick in at 350.  But I had 4dB of gain on the 250 and
it still seemed like things got a lot quieter when switching to the 250.
I'd have to measure and see if I had the actual same level there (and I
can do that now that I have the XG2) :)....  But I did have 4dB thrown
in for good measure! :)  I found myself using the 250 all the time for
rag chewing... But I use 250 on my K1 for its lowest filter position
too..

I tend to generally like things pretty quiet.  I use 850 for scanning
the band (as that is as wide as the K1 can go).  I use 500 to 550 for
calling CQ if they're further away than that then I guess I don't get to
hear them... And then I crank it down to 200 to 250 when I'm talking
with a guy.  It not only ensures that I'm pretty close to zero beat with
him but also makes things quieter and gets rid of a lot of the
electrical hash I have in my area.  The K1's noise blanker doesn't hold
a candle to the noise in my area but the K3 was doing a pretty fantastic
job!