On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 20:48:12 -0700, "Ron D'Eau Claire" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>When you have done your technical due-dilligence on the receive end and you
>know for a fact that another station is splattering badly and QRMing you and
>a lot of other people... How do you tell him? Or do you? I hate creating bad
>feelings on the air, and the usual rejoinder when I've actually tried this
>is angry defensiveness and sometimes even abusiveness.
>
>W5WVO

>Bill, this has nothing in particular to do with contest operating. I believe
>taking the abuse from the few is a part of our responsibilities as Hams.
>
>It's been a long time since a Ham license test including drawing an accurate
>block diagram of a rig, or of evaluating a schematic diagram of a key stage
>in a rig and finding a purposely included error, or of describing to an FCC
>engineer how to properly evaluate a transmitter's signal.
>
>Even then, passing a test and actually knowing how to operate a rig, are two
>different things. And knowing and caring are, for a desperate few, two
>different things as well. So even when we had such tests, there were those
>who didn't understand on the air.
>
>I suspect the numbers have increased. I have heard operators complain about
>getting a bad signal report, saying something like "I PAID TEN THOUSAND
>DOLLARS FOR THIS RIG. NO ONE IS GOING TO TELL ME IT ISN'T PERFECT!!!"

Heh, heh.  I too could even make ole #806 sound bad if I wanted to.  Nobody
looks at a scope any more and those that don't have scopes don't pay enough
attention to their ALC meters.  They just crank up the mic gain and compression
until they get the highest indicate average power they can get.  Many thanks to
the ARRL and W5YI for making it so easy to get a license these days!

>When I hear a bad signal, I say so, politely and clearly. If the other
>operator is offended, perhaps he/she needs to grow up or find a new hobby.
>
>I expect nothing less from those who I work on the air.
>
>Ron AC7AC
[snip]

Tom, N5GE - SWOT 3537 - Grid EM12jq

"Those who would give up