Hi Erik,

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Erik N Basilier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Bill,
>
> I may have exaggerated when I said the noise needs to be quite loud,
> but what I meant was the it should be loud enough to be easily heard,
> or else the desired signal won't be easily heard. (I do think I can copy
> a signal that is about equal to the noise level.) Probably when you
> copy a very weak signal, you also have it right at the noise level?
> We may differ on what is a comfortable signal level of course.

Yes of course the signal is at (or even below) the noise floor but I
would not want the combination very loud or your ears might go into
attenuation reflex mode and attenuate everything.  K3NA wrote a series
of articles about this some time back in the NCJ.  Here's Part 1:

http://www.ncjweb.com/novdec06scace1.pdf

I don't like extremely narrow filters for weak signals.  I find my
ears' internal 50 Hz DSP works better with a wider sample of white
noise and signal than listening through a 50 Hz BW filter.  Some
people like extremely narrow filters for weak signals but that doesn't
work for me (however it does work well for moderate signals with
extremely strong QRM nearby).

> The bottom line w.r.t. the FT-1000 (D) was that I could not without
> straining copy through the Heil headset (but could copy through
> speaker) with dual 250 Hz xtal filters and the audio cw filter on,
> and the audio volume control at max. I sent the Heil headset back
> to the store. I got this equipment back around 92/93, and think at
> that time Heil may have had only one headset model available
> (neglecting any variations in attached microphones). Do you know
> what the model designation might have been on that headset?
> Maybe they have changed ones manufactured later to be more
> sensitive?

I seem to recall Heil only offered the Pro-Set around that time.  I
think they had temporarily obsoleted the BM-10 and had not yet
introduced the Pro-Set Plus (which I can't use since it's headband
hurts my head).  I believe the Pro-Set series has always been ~200
ohms impedance but I've never had any problems using mine with several
rigs (TS-930S, FT-1000MP, Orion and now K3).  BTW I never use a
speaker and cannot imagine one being better than a good set of
headphones.  I love the Extreme Isolation EX-29 because it has
excellent rejection of external noise like amplifier fans, etc.

> Thanks for the specific information on the K3 settings. My K3
> is not here yet, and I am trying to understand if I need to plan
> to get an outboard speaker/amp in order to get sufficient
> audio volume for those weak cw signals on 10m and 6m
> where the band noise is low.

I would wait until you get your K3 before doing anything.  I'm not
sure why some are having low audio output but that's not the case for
my K3 with any headphones.  Could it be that CONFIG: AF GAIN is set LO
instead of the default HI?

73,  Bill  W4ZV