Kent, K9ZTV wrote:

I wish to applaud those who are deciding to put family budgets ahead of
ham radio purchases.  Family needs ALWAYS come before hobbies.  Always....

-------------------------

Very well put, Kent... And an important message.

A few years ago I worked an on-air buddy on 40 CW one December evening who
was happily exploring his new 100 watt transceiver: a Christmas present to
himself to replace his aging Heathkit 3-watt HW-8 QRP rig. He had saved
carefully for a couple of years to buy it.

I worked him again a few weeks later and he was back on his HW-8. He told me
that another friend of his, an aging Ham with very little money, had
suffered a catastrophic failure of his only rig. It was an early solid state
rig. Replacement parts weren't available. In any case, repairs were far
beyond his capabilities or resources. So my buddy made him a Christmas
present of his own: the new rig he had just purchased.

That night he told me that operating his HW-8 had never been as much fun as
when he fired it up to talk with his other friend on the air again.

The true "happy dance" of life is about doing the right thing, not having
the right thing.

Ron AC7AC