From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Alexandr Kobranov
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 5:53 PM
Cc: 'elecraft Reflector'
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Re: K3 Audio

I just made two basic samples using K3 and TS-850 using Firebox external soundcard and Winrad SW.

You can see screenshot from K3 line-out audio on

http://www.ok1kei.org/K3_audio/line_out_firebox_winrad.jpg

This is K3 with 400Hz roofing filter on some stable carrier. LINE OUT setting on level 9.

Then the same signal with the same af level (no change in Firebox input mixer settings) with TS-850

http://www.ok1kei.org/K3_audio/ts850_af_firebox_winrad.jpg

This is my TS-850 with 400Hz inrad filter and output from phones jack. There are also some "ghosts" in af spectrum, generaly more noisy, but no "image" of passband af signal visible.

As I do not believe in overloding of the Firebox soundcard (the same conditions for both RIGs so if overloded so in both cases...), there is something to explain.

Comments?

Thanks for your attention,
73!
Lexa, OK1DST
K3/10 #727

Alexandr Kobranov napsal(a):
I can confirm cca 20dB lower level of 3rd harmonics on front panel
phones output against rear panel line out. Main versus 3rd
harmonics is
50dB resp. 7OdB on line-out resp. phones output here.
Just tried with on-board sound card od my Dell workstation.
(using Spectran SW and output level adjusted for the same
peak out level
on Spectran screen).
Maybe later will try with Firebox sound card which has
better parameters.
Lexa, ok1dst

Joe Subich, W4TV napsal(a):
There is still a bit of a problem on receive audio.  This has been
there for some time and exists in the form of harmonics. The 3rd harmonic is quite easy to see and repeatable. I used HRD to show this on the waterfall after a conversation with a friend. You can clearly see the harmonic at..
You are overdriving your sound card or the line out transformer in the K3. I have measured the third harmonic using an audio spectrum analyzer at both the line out and headphone jacks of my K3. Until
the level
becomes excessive (> .7V RMS on the Line Out) the third
harmonic is
more than 50 dB down (Line Out) and more than 70 dB down
(headphones).
73,
... Joe, W4TV