The Kenwood MC-90 are a very good desktop microphone who fits directly on
the K3 connector without resoldering. It has a wider frequency range than
the Heil HC4 or HC5 and gives you a broader range of sound possibilities.

The MC-90 is a 250 ohm dynamic microphone without any amplification, only a
2 step low-cut switch on the bottom of the base. It is the best all-round
desktop microphone I have tried, suitable for both full-sounding "ragchew"
and DX.

Link: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mics/1870.html

Frequency response:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mics/1870grap.html

Heil HC4 and HC5 freq-response:
http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/products/gm/frequency_response.jpg
Sound-file: http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/products/hm10dual/hm10.mp3

As you see the Heil elements (especially the HC4) has almost no
audio-response below 400-500Hz and will sound very "narrow". On the MC-90
you can set lowcut to position V2 and have a similar sound.

There are 2 replaceble microphone heads, use the one without holes in the
side for a bit more treble response.

Microphone connector:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mics/1870plug.jpg

Since the MC-90 has no connection on pin 5 or pin 6 (+8V) it can be safely
used on the K3.

Best regards
LA4AMA
Roar