At 11:23 PM 8/8/2008, Charles Harpole wrote:
Real serious hams use Heil headphone/mic set.

What I believe, my opinion after selling microphones since 1981, for Sennheiser ..then AKG then Shure Brothers is different. Our firm was their exclusive agent in Illinois & Wisconson, so we sold tens of thousands,,, ( if you count the SM58).

Many ""real serious"" appliance operators do not know how to wire up a microphone,
 much less grab an electret element and assemble their own microphone.

Which is not to say there is something wrong with being an appliance operator;
but not all "real serious " hams use heil products.

MANY Real serious audio hams use AKG & Sennheiser and some of the Shure product line, from companies that have engineers and anechoic chambers . ( and actually manufacture the mic element, not just the case....)

Some of heils product graphs were marked as being made in an anabolic chamber.
You best look up that one. Even the magazine articles.

Bob had done a great job awakening the ham community to difference a mic can make.

The rising hi end frequency response....however is something Al Gore invented and licensed it to Shure Bros in the 50s for their # 444 and other communication & paging microphones.

I use a mini 414b handheld for my K3 which you can drive a truck over,,,, has one of those "million-cycle" switches...and has fantastic audio....for SSB.

too bad it was discontinued years ago,,,,
many hamfests have a larger similiar 'paging' product, and they sell for 5$ at the hamfests, marked Johnson, RCA, or areoflex..or some other American radio company who bought them from Shure.

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/WiredMicrophones/us_pro_514B_content

LOUD & CLEAR....

go rip out an electret element from a discarded telephone and surprise yourself....

ranting off,,,,
bill