Berni G0IDA wrote:

I just would like to put this thread back onto its tracks..... The problem is with CW (although SSB does suffer too) and the main problem is that I can hear the 3rd harmonic which when mixed with the fundamental makes a rough note on CW especially when tuning away going up in frequency.

Combining third and fundamental, at AF, should not produce a rough note. It should produce a string-like tone rather than the flute-like done from just the fundamental.

If you are getting any low frequency beat, it means the signals are not harmonically related.

(I think you would need an awful lot of third harmonic to shift much from flute to string.)

--
David Woolley
"The Elecraft list is a forum for the discussion of topics related to Elecraft products and more general topics related ham radio"