Ya know, I don't by the "movement counting" that I sometimes see posted
regarding single lever vs. iambic keying.  Do we count muscle movement
or joint movement?  Is it one motion to squeeze or two?  Do we count
close and open motions or only closing motions?  There is a lot of gray
and subjectivity.  I've even seen the counting applied unevenly (e.g.
releasing is counted as a motion for iambic but not for single lever).

I think the only sane way to look at is by looking at switch closures.
How many motions and how many muscles are involved in closing the
switches is a far more complex and subjective subject.  Switch closures
are very concrete and countable.

Looking at it from a switch closure perspective, we have the letter A
requiring 2 for iambic and 2 for single lever.  I say that is one
squeeze or grasp motion on iambic, others say it is 2 or 3 separate
finger motions.  Doesn't matter, we can both agree that it is 2 distinct
switch closers.  K requires 2 on Iambic but 3 on single lever.  C
requires 2 on Iambic and 4 on single lever.  Regardless of the amount of
joint / muscle movement, the iambic keyer requires less switch closures.
The thing that makes Iambic tougher is that those switch closures must
be precisely timed.  That timing is easy at slow speeds and doable at
moderate to fast speeds.  At competition speeds,  suspect the
competitors use to single lever paddles because of the nearly impossible
timing requirements of iambic, not because of any savings in motion.

Having said all that, I do CW for fun, not efficiency.  I know that
Iambic requires less switch closures but I hardly every use the paddles.
I use a bug or straight key most of the time simply because they're more
fun.  After all, this is a hobby

- Keith N1AS -
- K3 711 -