Brendan:

You might wish to look at the measurements I made, with LIN OUT settings from 2 to 100. There's an animated GIF that steps through the LIN OUT settings so you can see the effect. The data was taken at 600 Hz. http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/elecraft_k3_receive_audio.htm about half way down the page

Like you, I see a relatively constant 45 dB or so offset between the fundamental and 3rd harmonic for LIN OUT values of 10 and over.

However, setting the LIN OUT at 2 results in quite a bit better odd order harmonic suppression, on the order of nearly 70 dB. By the time LIN OUT is set to 5, however, the odd order suppression is reduced to a bit more than 60 dB. At LIN OUT = 10, it's 45 dB or so where it stays at all values of LIN OUT tested between 10 and 100.

(For some reason, the 2nd harmonic pops up at certain settings, but not others higher or lower, but that's not of immediate concern.)

There's a related issue with the AGC. The audio output is proportional to RF signal level, as the AGC has a slope to it. Hence, even though the LIN OUT might be set to, say, 2, the actual audio level and hence the distortion, will vary as the RF signal level changes. The degree of audio level variation with RF input changes depends on how the user has set the K3's AGC slope and intercept parameters.

I'll make the measurements on a couple of TTC-108 parts when they arrive as a matter of trying to understand where the harmonic distortion arises. To duplicate the K3's audio chain, I'll drive the TTC-108s from an op-amp so that it will be hit with a low Z source, instead of the standard audio generators available to me, with 50 or 600 ohm output Z.

Jack

Brendan Minish wrote:
Jack
I have seen postings on the main reflector recommending settings as low
as 3 to avoid distortion products that are being attributed to
transformer distortion. This did not really make sense to me, especially
at such low levels where consumer sound cards tend to get non-linear and
nasty.

I took a look at the specifications for the TTC-108 audio transformer
used in the line out of the K3
Nominally it's specified as having an operating level of -45dBm to
+7dBm THD is specified at 0.5% @0dBm 300Hz to 3.5 Khz @ 0dBm
this would make the transformer related harmonics worst case at -46dB
relative to the fundamental
I did some measurements with an s9 CW signal zero beat at various pitch
settings
I used an old copy of SMAART pro that I have from my Sound engineering
days. the sound card is a delta44
Lin = 100       Pitch 300       pitch 550       pitch 800
DR3             47.3dB          51.4dB          54dB

Lin = 50        Pitch 300       Pitch 550       Pitch 800
DR3             43.1dB          47.6dB          50.6dB

Lin = 10        Pitch 300       Pitch 550       Pitch 800
DR3             35dB            39.7dB          43.1dB

Lin = 5         Pitch 300       Pitch 550       Pitch 800
DR3             31.9dB          37.7dB          42.7dB

Lin = 3         Pitch 300       Pitch 550       Pitch 800
DR3             31dB            40.3db          47.6dB

DR3 is the Dynamic range between the fundamental and the 3rd harmonic
(the most dominant harmonic by a wide margin)

I did a quick look at 5th and 7th orders too, again the best performance
here was found with LIN = 100
LIN = 100 is an output level of approximately 700mv for an S9 CW sig on
my K3
The Harmonic distortion does not increase with higher line out levels,
it actually improves. This does not appear to be a transformer
saturation issue
With lin = 100 users will see a ghost on the waterfall and may risk
over-driving some consumer sound cards. lowering LIN may get rid of the
visible ghost by reducing the 3rd Harmonic to below the waterfall
threshold (& perhaps the sound card input noise floor ) but also reduces
the overall usable dynamic range

73
Brendan EI6IZ