And the effect of Ebay... But it is a real problem for us overseas people.
Many firms will not ship abroad at all and others insist on using expensive
couriers, even for items only costing a few $. My recent problem trying to
get a 15-way cable for example. It would cost $10 for the cable and $60 to
ship it, and that is before customs charges.

There is a solution for more expensive items, the shipping agent. E.g.
USABox, MyMailbox USA etc. These companies will for a charge give you a US
mailing address, take your package and forward it by DHL/UPS or occasionally
USPS. The shipping cost plus their fee works out at about the same as the
standard courier charge, so for an item worth more than few $100s it is
worthwhile. Some will even buy the item for you for a 10% commission.

Mike