To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 9:17 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K2 Battery Charging System With out Mods?

I use Don's system described below in #2) with the A&A charger and recommend it. It keeps the K2's battery healthy, and I also use it for other gel-cell
batteries around the shack. Plus, when out in the field, the added power
jack on the back of tyhe K2 makes a convenient spot to connect an analog
expanded-scale DC voltmeter to monitor the state of charge (even though the
K2 can also monitor its own voltage). The meter I use is a Zantum
Technologies model ZAPV15 "12 Volt Lead Acid Battery Capacity Charge Meter"
with a nice multi-colored scale.

73, John W2XS

2) Make a direct connection to the battery and use a 2 or 3 state charger
designed specifically for charging gel cells.  The A&A Smartcharger is one
example. See my website www.w3fpr.com for information related to 2) above.