Simon (HB9DRV) wrote:

> Agreed - unlike WinKey with KY you have no idea how many characters are
> inside the radio waiting to be sent. It's OK for sending CQ DX ALL NIGHT
> LONG etc. but for anything else it's not a good option.

I'm sorry, but I really don't get this argument in the context of contest
operating at all. The typical contest "over", whether it's a call or a
report or an acknowledgement, is pretty short. It takes about a couple of
seconds to transmit. If anyone can change the text between the moment of
hitting the Send key and the transmission being finished they are a hell of
a lot quicker on the keyboard than I am.

The KY command is simply an alternative to external memory keyers or the
message memories built into radios like the K2 and K3 that are not
modifiable in any shape or form during the time-frame of a contest contact.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
http://www.g4ilo.com/ G4ILO's Shack   http://www.ham-directory.com/ Ham
Directory    http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html KComm for Elecraft K2 and K3