Probably.  Any of a number of unexpected task switches cause CW keying to be
interrupted. The ones I can think of are:

1) Virus checker phoning home for a file update.
2) Virus checker starts a file scan.
3) Adobe decides it needs to phone home to check for updates.
4) Apple QuickTime decides it needs to phone home to check for updates.
5) Microsoft Windows Update decides it needs to phone home to check for
updates.
6) Sun Java virtual machine decides it needs to phone home to check for
updates.
7) Real Player decides it needs to phone home to check for updates.
8) Spyware scan starts.
9) Content indexing starts or
10) Contest log gets large and check partial or rescoring takes more time.

These are mostly activities that can be turned off if you know how to do it
and are vigilant.  After the contest you probably want to turn them back on
again.  I don't always remember and don't always find them all.

So I use a WinKey (in a microHAM box) and all I have to remember to turn off
is the screen saver.

73 de Dick, K6KR