Vic Rosenthal wrote:
Ken_ke2n wrote:
I do not want to bring up the pro's and con's of Farnsworth CW (discussed in
many many posts in the elecraft forum, but not specifically in the K3 area).
I would just mention that this is a pretty standard technique on EME, to
deal with libration fading.
I was quite frustated to have to send by hand, or use an external keyer with
the K3, this weekend.
 Has somebody raised this to a wish list item?

I would not like to see this added to the  K3. It's quite specialized,
and I'm sure there would have to be a way to adjust the spacing. Not
everything has to be built into the radio -- that's why there are
external keyers, etc.

It's a well known feature of Morse Code that certain patterns of letters are more readable when sent with a small amount of extra spacing. Most operators do this automatically (and often unconsciously) when keying by hand, and in common with most other electronic keyers the K3 allows this.

(Declaration of personal interest: one of those patterns is "SEK".)

I believe Ken's main point was that when code is stored in a K3 memory, all the subtle articulation of hand sending is destroyed. On playback, any extended spacing is forced down to a standard letter space.

This is a known problem, but fortunately there is also a quick fix: a simple prosign that inserts an extra half-letter-space when played back from memory. Obviously it isn't perfect - which is why some keyers like the Microkeyer allow much finer adjustment - but experience with keying macros in N1MMlogger and Writelog shows that the simple half-letter-space is a very good first step.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK