Julian, G4ILO wrote:

There were a lot of key clicks in evidence and in a couple of cases the key
clicks were so strong that they actually depressed the AGC so that I had to
abandon trying to copy a couple of weaker stations. The widest bandwidth I
used was 200Hz but sometimes it was down to 150Hz or 100Hz. However the
narrowest roofing filter I have is 500Hz. If I had a narrower filter, such
as 200Hz, would that have helped in this situation?

I noticed this too. And I also noticed a number of very loud signals with absolutely no clicks. Possibly the no-clickers were K2's and K3's!

Most likely a narrower filter would not have helped because the clicks were within the filter bandpass. An unmodified FT1000 has strong clicks 1 kHz away from the signal and if the signal is loud, those clicks will be loud too.

The only time a 200 Hz filter would be better than a 500 Hz would be when there is a signal which is at least S9+20, and it is more than 100 and less than 250 Hz away (I am making some obvious simplifying assumptions here, but you get the idea).

When signals are that close, often you have trouble with clicks and phase noise which end up in your passband anyway.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco