Today I got around to installing in my K3 the audio upgrade kit that arrived
a couple of weeks ago. The first part of the kit involves swapping an RFC on
the main PCB with one that has a lower resistance. (FYI, I measured the
resistance of the original choke as 0.4 ohms, and of the new choke as 0.1
ohms - hard to imagine the new choke would make that much difference!).  The
instructions give a "short" and a "long"  method of installing the choke.
The "short" method involves cutting a circuit board trace. I elected to do
the "long" mod and timed myself. Start to finish it took 15 minutes! I
highly recommend folks do the long method, and also that Elecraft delete the
short method as an option. It just isn't necessary and, besides, who wants
to mess up that beautiful circuit board?

The second part of the kit involves shunting two resistors with 51 ohm
resistors,  and here also Elecraft gives two options: one is to solder 1/8w
through-hole resistors onto the IO board, and the other is to solder two
tiny SMT (surface mount ) resistors piggy-back onto existing SMT resistors.
The kit comes with both kinds of resistors.  I elected to do the SMT version
of the mod, and here I'd recommend that owners opt for the other method. I
don't see any advantage to doing the  SMT version. It takes a very steady
hand, a very small-tipped soldering iron, and very good eyesight to
piggy-back the two SMT resistors into the circuit, and I just don't see the
reason for the hassle. It would take five minutes to install the
through-hole resistors, and the result looks quite clean and neat.  I'd
recommend also that Elecraft delete the SMT option from the instructions.
Took me about 30 mins to install the SMT resistors, probably about half that
time to install the through-hole ones.

73,

Jim W8ZR