> "I would argue for the piggyback approach.   Use a pair of "sprung" tweezers
> that can grasp the SMT resistor at a comfortable angle."

At first, I detested working with SMT parts.  I slowly got over it and have
developed a certain comfort level but I almost need to meditate first as the
iron is warming up.

For me, a magnifying headset is a must.  Like most of you, my ability to work
very closely on PCBs stopped nearly on the day of my 40th birthday and since
then, my near vision has slowly gotten worse.  I now wear bifocal contact
lenses, but the magnifier is still needed for SMT work.

Also, I need to limit my caffeinated coffee intake before working.  There is no
way I can work with the iron and parts while I'm caffinated.  Way too much
shaking.

A well-lighted area and a good "mood" environment is also a must.  I almost
never conduct SMT work with family anywhere nearby.  It's too easy to loose my
focus and concentration -- and mistakes start escalating.

Regarding the K3 AF audio mod: I had no hesitation in removing the old SMT
parts and directly replacing them with new values.  Arguably, the
"piggy-backing" attempt is more difficult since you're not working against a
flat surface, like the PCB.  Also, the area around the PCB's solder pads will
be a bit more forgiving if alignment of the part is not perfect.

Somewhere on the web, an ingenious fellow developed a slick "third hand" for
SMT work  The device is clamped to the edge of the PCB and pivots much the same
way that we used to adjust a crystal radio's detector by varying the catwhisker
arm position and tension on a piece of galena.   The end of the catwhisker is
then pressed upon the SMT part to retain tension while the left and right hands
are applying heat and solder.  Wish I new where to find one....

Paul, W9AC