Sounds like this one:
http://users.erols.com/k3mt/graswire/graswire.htm

A few minutes before the start of the ARRL 160m contest I decided to try something I'd heard about. I took about 180 feet (55m) of wire and laid it on the ground from my shack, across the backyard, around the back of my garage and all the way down the edge of the driveway.

It turned out to be an excellent 160m receiving antenna! I expected that signals would be very weak, but they were almost as strong as on the transmitting antenna. My antenna analyzer showed an SWR of about 2.5:1. And, most important, the s/n ratio was much, much better.

I connected it to the AUX input of the sub-receiver and activated diversity mode with a (very) long hold of the SUB button. I went to the CONFIG menu and set for SUB AF = BALANCE so that the sub's AF gain control would act as a balance control between the two receivers.

This works great! I can hear signals get stronger in one ear when they QSB in the other. And for signals which come in better on one antenna than the other, I just turn the balance control.

Even if you don't have a subreceiver, you should try the "poor man's beverage" (no, I don't mean wine in cardboard boxes) receiving antenna. Although the directivity is sort of arbitrary, the noise is way down compared to a vertical.

The contest will still be going tonight. Try it, there is no antenna that is easier to install!
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco