Charlie,

Yes, I have battled the fan noise, too. I got replacement fans which seemed a little quieter, but I still had no doubt when they were running. I noticed that if I removed the fan panel from the rig and held it in my hand while the fans were running, they were very quiet. So I went to the local hardware store and found some neoprene (rubber) washers about 1/16 inch thick. I placed them on the bolts between the fans and the mounting plate. That has helped to quiet them down quite a bit. I still know when they're running, but it's tolerable.

I've also found that where I place the K3 on my desk makes a difference in how loud the fans sound. My desk is in a corner of the room and if I place the K3 so the back is pointing into the corner, the walls reflect any sound right back toward me and the fans are louder. If I place it on a table in the middle of the room, I don't notice the noise nearly as much.

73
--
Joe KB8AP