Someday I'll be sitting at the operating desk preparing to call a rare DX
station when my new Elecraft K22 will suddenly fade into nothingness in
front of my eyes just as a disembodied voice comes from the phones,
"Finished installing automatic updates. Starting mandatory reboot."

It sounds like your K3 is a lot like ol' S/N 10 here. It's getting harder
and harder to make it look 'fresh out of the box' for updated assembly
manual photos.

But they're both proof that one can disassemble these rigs again and again
and they'll "take a lickin' and keep on ticken'" as the old Timex watch
commercials used to say.

Ron AC7AC