I replaced my 6 meter station ( Orion O2 + Elecraft XV50 ) with the K3.
I find that in my city location that the K3 is equal to the old set up. I do
have the PR6 preamp but I find that I do not need it as the one in the K3 is
just fine. living in the city the background noise is S3 - S4 most of the
time..when the rains come it drops to S2..unless you live way out in the
country and no noise you should not need the PR6 as all it will do is raise
the noise floor....
don't forget that the skip on 6 meters can be quite selective, I have
observed that stations 5 miles away from me can work station that I can not
hear and a bit later I will be working them and the other station won't hear
them..
I have a 5 MHZ crystal reference that I use the 10th harmonic for
calibration at 50 Mhz and use it for a weak signal reference..   there is
very little difference between the 2 station set ups..
you need to set it up to be able to switch between the 2 radios and compare
at the same time.. if the K3 is weak contact Elecraft support...

Ed    K7WIA
6 meters since '63
3 time WAS
580 Grids