Guy,

Forgive me for putting bandwidth change into the already complex argument,
but since you mentioned it, here is further explanation of my view on that:

When I'm operating QSK I want to hear my frequency between dits
but *only my* frequency. All too easily I make transmission errors
if the radio doesn't do a perfect emulation of a code practice oscillator.
Cranking down the receive bandwidth to 100 Hz during transmission
often brings something close to that effect. In all but the shortest QSO's
I routinely do this manually. It would be great if it could be done
automatically.

If the other station in the qso breaks into my transmission then I welcome
it, even with the stumbling on my part that is likely to result. If I hear
another
station nearby *while I am transmitting* I see it as a nuisance.

During reception things are a bit different. On the one hand, my copy
will be better if the bandwidth is narrow. On the other hand, another
station may legitimately be calling me slightly off frequency. I am less
embarrassed to miss a character during reception than stumbling
during transmission. Probably in a typical situation the ideal receive
bandwidth during reception is wider than during transmission,
assuming that a small bandwidth is used as the tool of choice to
remove unwanted din during transmission (which does not include
what may be coming from the other station in the qso).

73,
Erik K7TV