Ron, AC7AC wrote:

I can't speak for the engineering or product decisions that went into
offering 6 meters with the K3, but for an excellent low-noise 6 meter
capability Elecraft does offer the XV50 transverter which is well integrated
into the K3 and K2 rigs offering direct frequency readout, all of the
capabilities of the base K3 (or K2), and the 6 meter band becomes part of
the band selection just like the HF bands.

The XV144, 222 and 432 round out the same capability, letting you cycle
through bands using the K2 or K3 bandswitch from 160 through 70 cm with one
rig, and each of the VHF/UHF transverters has a low-noise high-performance
receive front end designed specifically for that band.

As Wayne's often mentioned here, the advanced up-conversion design of the K3
is superior for HF but makes incorporating VHF a real challenge. Using an XV
transverter specifically designed for each VHF band keeps the K3 (or K2)
operating as a tunable I.F. in the HF (28 MHz) range.

Ron AC7AC

Hi Ron,

I posted a number of months back asking if I would be better off using my
existing XV50 6 meter transverter with my K3 than the internal K3 receiver.
Someone from Elecraft replied that there would be no real benefit to doing
this.  Can't recall who, but it convinced me to put my XV50 up for sale.

Terry, W0FM
K3/100 #474