Ian,

Much forethought was put into this (at the design stage). We knew ahead
of time that the 6-m MDS was going to be in the -135 dBm  range with
the internal preamp, due to the losses in the T-R switching and narrow
band-pass filtering. Both were required for this design.

A separate 6-m preamp would only have boosted 6-m MDS by a couple of dB
because it follows the other front-end losses. Thus we elected -- from
the start -- to provide for an *external* 6-m preamp, patched between
RX ANT IN/OUT. With this solution, we get a world-class 6-m MDS in the
-144 dBm range, and you don't pay for it unless you need it.

Every rig has tradeoffs. This was one of ours.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Ian White GM3SEK wrote:

>> As Wayne's often mentioned here, the advanced up-conversion design of
>> the K3 is superior for HF but makes incorporating VHF a real
>> challenge.
>
> No challenge at all... had it been thought about at the design stage.

---

http://www.elecraft.com