From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of James Sarte
Sent: 10 February 2009 02:02
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 sub-receiver usefulness?

Hello group,

Someone mentioned in one of the reflector emails that the new firmware under
development will allow independent band switching/monitoring between VFO's
without a sub receiver.  Am I correct in my understanding then that without
a sub receiver, this firmware will allow tuning and monitoring of separate
bands?  If that is indeed the case, can someone please clarify for me how
that can accomplished with a single receiver?

On a separate note, apart from diversity receive, I'm curious to know how
other people are utilizing their sub receiver?  The reason I ask is I'm
finalizing my purchase of a K3, and am trying to determine whether it's
necessary to fully load up both receivers now.  At this point, I'm ready to
purchase 2 general coverage modules plus 2 each of the following filters:
250KHz, 400KHz, 2.8Khz, 6KHz, 13KHz.  I'd like to have the ability to
monitor PSK31, FM or SW broadcast on the sub, while monitoring phone or
engaging in a phone QSO on the main; both receivers being on separate bands.
That's just one example.  Another could be to monitor SW broadcast on the
main while listening to 10m FM on the sub.  Do I need to install the AM or
FM filters in the sub to monitor SW or FM or can the sub's DSP take care of
it?

73,

James KC2UEE

database 3840 (20090210) __________