From: Joe Subich, W4TV [mailto:li...@subich.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 7:40 PM
To: 'KC2UEE'; 'Rick Tavan N6XI'
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] K3 sub-receiver usefulness?

> As for the 6KHz AM filter, to my understanding In order to
> receive and transmit AM, I will need this filter for sure.
> Just not sure how many I'll need, now that I only plan to
> purchase one general coverage module.

No, you only need the AM filter if you plan to TRANSMIT AM
or ESSB and then only because Elecraft will not enable AM
and ESSB transmit with the FM filter.

I would specifically not bother with the AM filter in the
subreceiver - nor would I get the FM filter for the subRX
unless I were also adding the general coverage front-end
filter.

If Elecraft would enable AM and ESSB transmit with the FM
filter, my suggestions would be FM, 2.7, 400 and 200 in the
main receiver with FM, 2.7 and 400 in the subreceiver.  A
1.5 or 1.8 KHz narrow SSB filter can be added later if you
feel the need for a high performance option for contesting.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV