Joe Subich, W4TV-4 wrote:

> To normalize the radio's output power for any valid test you
> need to measure the single tone carrier power (e.g., CW).  If
> you do that (press tune at 50 watts), you will recalibrate.
> The recalibration will render any subsequent measurement
> incompatible with previous measurements.

I already stated that I ran the calibration on all bands at 5 and 50W prior
to taking these measurements. There was no need to recalibrate when
measuring the power on CW and DATA. In any case, the point of measuring the
power on SSB was simply to illustrate that the power control works on SSB
but not on DATA.

> That's not what I'm suggesting at all.  I'm saying you can't
> make repeatable measurements at 50.0 watts because of the need
> to calibrate the power level before undertaking measurements.
> Make the measurements at 40 or 60 watts to eliminate the
> errors introduced by automatic recalibration.

OK. I didn't think you were suggesting that. But I did not invoke any
automatic recalibration at any point during my tests.

> As to understanding of the radio ... anyone who thinks the
> ALC should act as an APC has a far distance to go in their
> understanding of the radio and those factors that impact
> power output.

I don't think that at all. I expect the power control to regulate the output
power in the same way as it does for CW, AM, FM and SSB. If I set the power
control to 50W and feed in an adequate level of input I expect to get no
more than 50W out and preferably no less. How this is achieved is really not
my concern.

The amount of unpredictability of the output power in data mode at the
moment is not acceptable. I can't imagine that this state of affairs would
be considered acceptable if it was CW or SSB that was affected.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
http://www.g4ilo.com/ G4ILO's Shack   http://www.g4ilo.com/blog.html G4ILO's
Blog    http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html KComm for Elecraft K2 and K3