Hi Joe,

> Further, single tone power calibration is only accurate for
> the specific frequency within the IF filter on which the
> calibration is performed.  If I calibrate power in CW mode
> that calibration point is approximately 300 Hz from one
> "corner" of the 2.8 KHz filter thanks to the way the K3
> offsets the filters.

If I understand you correctly, you're essentially saying that in DATA-
A (where, according to Elecraft, ALC action is intentionally minimized
to minimize distortion), we're seeing more of the true shape of the
filter passband.  Whereas in a voice mode (USB or LSB, where ALC
action is more pronounced,) the ALC action will tend to make the
filter passband appear flat if the input is a single tone.

To test this, I used an audio signal generator to input single tones
of various frequencies into my K3 in both LSB and DATA-A modes.  I set
the power control for 30W.  Here are my measurements:

AF input freq. Po-DATA-A    Po-LSB
TUNE            25.7         25.2
  200             4.6          6.1
  400            27.0         24.8
  600            34.5         24.8
  800            45.6         24.8
1000            53.1         24.8
1200            47.5         24.8
1400            37.8         24.8
1600            32.3         24.8
1800            30.9         24.8
2000            31.9         24.8
2200            34.3         24.8
2400            37.9         24.8
2600            34.9         24.8
2800            13.9         24.8
3000             nil          nil

So, neglecting the ~25 W vs 30 W error, it's clear that something is
keeping a tight rein on things in LSB, but is not doing so in DATA-A.
Presumably, this is the ALC action, which we are told is minimized in
DATA-A mode.  The data also seem to corroborate your statement that
the calibration point is 300 Hz from the filter corner.

If I'm really wrong about something, please correct me.  If I'm NOT
wrong, I think I might finally understand why power output in DATA-A
doesn't seem to track the requested power closely.

73
--
Joe KB8AP