Barry Pfeil wrote:

> VE3KI's explanation is absolutely correct, but I would add a
> CAUTION that once you have this arrangement set up, be careful to boot
> your computer and N1MM BEFORE turning on your K3 or at least before
> enabling transmit.  This is because some of the start-up "processes"
> seem to key the radio when you wouldn't want it to be keyed.  I'm using
> a USB-to-Serial converter and that may makes things worse (or better?).

Thanks to all who responded to my question.  The good news is that with VE3KI's
assistance I was able to get N1MM CW working using the Elecraft USB to Serial
cable as the only connection between my computer and the rig.  The quality of
the generated CW was fine; no stuttering or halts.  The bad news is that, for
me
at least, N1MM is very unstable when CW keying is activated in the software.
Periodically, and under circumstances I don't understand, the "CW IF"
application starts consuming more and more CPU cycles until it hogs almost 100%
of available cycles and the computer hangs.  And sometimes when I click one of
the N1MM "send CW" buttons, nothing happens.  This is always a harbinger of a
near-future computer crash.

Also, I have to activate N1MM before turning on the K3.  If I do the opposite,
the K3 momentarily sends a CW signal and N1MM crashes.

Rich (VE3KI) suggested that I might try reverting to version 8.12.7 of N1MM.
I'll do this and, if the results are favorable, I'll report back.

Following suggestions made here, I've also subscribed to the N1MM reflector and
will report the current problem over there (where it probably belongs).

Again, thanks for everyone's input.

73,

Bill/NG3K