On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:02:58 -0800, JIM DAVIS wrote:

>Many thanks for saving our "BABY!"

Several thoughts. First, the K3 is isolated from the AC line by
whatever DC supply you are using with it. For many years, I've run
the 12VDC powered equipment in my hamshack from a big battery that
is float-charged from a regulated 10A supply. A poor man's UPS, with
excellent surge protection -- ON THE POWER LINE.

There is, however, another MAJOR issue. Voltage spikes are also
coupled to the power system ground (green wire) by all those nasty
MOVs in power strips and office equipment throughout your home, and
they can significantly raise the voltage on the green wire if the
spike is BIG. That can cause failures if something connected to one
of those outlets and another ground has a pin 1 problem -- and like
most ham rigs, the K3 has several pin 1 problems on the KIO3.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC